“The story of Valentine’s Day begins in the third century with an oppressive Roman emperor and a humble Christian Martyr. The emperor was Claudius II. The Christian was Valentinus.
Claudius had ordered all Romans to worship twelve gods, and had made it a crime punishable by death to associate with Christians. But Valentinus was dedicated to the ideals of Christ; not even the threat of death could keep him from practicing his beliefs. He was arrested and imprisoned.
During the last weeks of Valentinus’s life a remarkable thing happened. Seeing that he was a man of learning, the jailer asked whether his daughter, Julia, might be brought to Valentinus for lessons. She had been blind since birth. Julia was a pretty young girl with a quick mind. Valentinus read stories of Rome’s history to her. He described the world of nature to her. He taught her arithmetic and told her about God. She saw the world through his eyes, trusted his wisdom, and found comfort in his quiet strength.
“Valentinus, does God really hear our prayers?” Julia asked one day.
“Yes, my child, He hears each one.”
“Do you know what I pray for every morning and every night? I pray that I might see. I want so much to see everything you’ve told me about!”
“God does what is best for us if we will only believe in Him,” Valentinus said.
“Oh, Valentinus, I do believe! I do!” She knelt and grasped his hand.
They sat quietly together, each praying. Suddenly there was a brilliant light in the prison cell. Radiant, Julia screamed, “Valentinus, I can see! I can see!”
“Praise be to God!” Valentinus exclaimed, and he knelt in prayer.
On the eve of his death Valentinus wrote a last note to Julia, urging her to stay close to God. He signed it, “From your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, February 14, 270 A.D., near a gate that was later named Porta Valentini in his memory. He was buried at what is now the Church of Praxedes in Rome. It is said that Julia planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains a symbol of abiding love and friendship. On each February 14, Saint Valentine’s Day, messages of affection, love, and devotion are exchanged around the world.”
18 VALENTIN’S DAY QUOTES
1. Dearest sweetheart, a day without you in my life must never come for if it does, then that will for sure be the last day of my life. Happy Valentine’s Day!
2. As busy as we might get, we must remind each other that we are still sweethearts and that will remain forever. Now that it is Valentine’s Day, allow me to express how happy I am to have you in my life, I love you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
3. Love is just too weak of a word to express what I feel for you. One life is just not enough to tell you how madly in love I am with you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
4. Each moment that I am far from you, it seems that my tears could fill the ocean blue. I love you, Happy Valentine’s Day!
5. The day we met is a day I will never ever forget. I have never been so happy since the day I found you. Happy Valentine’s Day my love!
6. Every time I see you, I could feel a little flame in my heart lighting up. And that’s because I truly love you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
7. Dearest sweetheart, you are a haven for my heart and a refuge for my soul, Happy Valentine’s Day!
8. I consider myself the luckiest person on Earth it’s because I own the most precious jewel in the whole universe, and that is you, my love. Happy Valentine’s Day!
9. Every day, I thank God for He allowed me to meet you in my journey in life. I love you, Happy Valentine’s Day!
10. On the day of the hearts, I want you to know that you will be my Valentine, again! And for the many Valentine’s Day to come.
11. We all make mistakes in life. But it is never a mistake to love. Happy Valentine’s Day, my love. I love you so much!
12. The greatest thing you will ever learn in this world is to love and to be loved in return. Thank you honey for coming into my life. Happy Valentine’s Day! I love you!
13. Love might be one of the most misunderstood feelings in this world. Yet, it weakens the brain, causes the cheeks to glow, eyes to sparkle and blood pressure to rise. Happy Valentine’s Day!
14. When you trip over love, you can still get up. But when you fall in love, you will fall forever. I love you, Happy Valentine’s Day!
15. Happy Valentine’s Day, honey! Anyone may catch your eye, but it will take someone special to catch your heart, I love you!
16. A hundred hearts will be too few to carry all of the love I have for you, I love you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
17. Dearest sweetheart, you are a haven for my heart and a refuge for my soul, Happy Valentine’s Day!
18. I consider myself the luckiest person on Earth it’s because I own the most precious jewel in the whole universe, and that is you, my love. Happy Valentine’s Day!